Monday, September 3, 2012

Jacksonopolis | Jackson, MI Photographer

Back in the spring, I learned about an exciting new media outlet in town called Jacksonopolis. It was started by a few very talented people that had one thing in mind, showcasing positive community news. Volunteer writers, videographers, and photographers help produce all the content for their site and social networks. Each of them donate their time and talent to produce a unique and creative view of each event. I'm not a Jackson native, so there's a lot of these events that I've never heard of or been to, so it's really cool to explore the city I live in. Plus, it's fun to practice a different side of photography besides just portraiture.

The first event I covered was the mural unveiling at the Armory Arts. Three of the resident artists spent countless house painting (as historically accurate as possible) a mural of the old prison that is now an artist community/housing. The mural is incredible and if you ever get time, I definitely suggest going to the Armory Arts and checking out the residents work.


The next one was the Fairy Festival, which I had heard about, but had never attended. I had no idea what to expect, but when I arrived I could tell that it was every little girls dream event. Little ones were dressed in their fairy costumes were making their rounds of various activities that were set up. Some had their face painted, there was a castle they could play in, or have story time from one of Jackson's fairies. It was a very magical event and just awesome to see their faces light up with joy when they met a "real fairy."


Bark for Life is an event related to Relay for Life, but it helps raise money to find a cure for canine cancer. They do a small walk around Cascades Park and have lots of dog friendly games/activities for your fur kid to participate in. Between bobbing for hot dogs and the musical hula hoops, it was enough to make any dog tired. It was awesome to see so many people out socialize their four legged friends and fighting for a great cause!


Folkgalore was an event that I hadn't heard of and on my own probably would not have attended, but I was pleasantly surprised. One of the bands that I signed up to photograph was Those Willows. They're originally from Detroit, but they made the trek out to Portland this fall to pursue their music career. The stories their songs told were very down to earth and relaxing. I can definitely see myself putting their CD on to hang out with or get some work done. 

After their performance, I was on to Jackson Coffee Co. to photograph Ronnie Ferguson. When they were done, that was the end of my assignment, but I ended up staying for the band after them, Chad Cecil & the Family Dentistry, because they showed up with a cello and I was interested in listening to it. To my delight they were SO amazing!! I walked away with their CD and I would have never even known about them if it hadn't been for Jacksonopolis.


If you get some time, check out Jacksonopolis' website and Facebook, who knows, you might find something unexpectedly that you really enjoy as well.

8 comments:

  1. What an amazing cause (bark for life). The fairy festival sounds amazing! I absolutely love that last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter would love this!! Beautiful captures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm I might have to take a trip to Jackson next time I get up to MI. Wonder how far it is from Pt. Huron?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about 2 hours northeast of Jackson, let me know when you're coming in next and I can swing over that way and meet in the middle or something :)

      Delete
  4. Oh My little one would LOVE the fairy festival. Thank you for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice write up Natalie! I am glad that you are part of our team of photographers. I remember during the introduction meeting that you said that you would only be able to help until the beginning of summer. All things aside I think I speak for all of the Jacksonopolis team that we are glad you still presently call Jackson home :o)

    Travis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Travis, I really enjoy photographing for Jacksonopolis. It's been a really fun experience and I'm definitely going to continue as long as I'm here in town :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...