Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Relay for Life - Ann Arbor

Once in high school I had participated in Relay for Life, it was a blast, but in the years after that it just didn't fit in my schedule to devote the time needed to the event. That was until this year. The Ann Arbor Relay Committee asked me if I'd volunteer to photograph their event. I agreed and spent last Saturday and Sunday watching the day's events unfold.

It always amazes me how so many people from different walks of life can come together and fight a common cause. They put aside all differences they might have had and walked side-by-side. To say the least it's an incredibly moving experience. And if you have never been to a Relay for Life, I strongly encourage you to check out one. I had a hard time fighting back tears during the Survivor ceremony and the Luminaria ceremony. Trust me, crying makes taking photos pretty difficult. But all the emotions are totally worth knowing that I am helping a cancer fighter somewhere celebrate their life and live to see many more birthdays.


My grandfather had passed away from cancer and both of my parents are in remission, so cancer has had a played a big role in my life. I want to give back, so while I was at Relay Ann Arbor I pledged to myself that I would make a difference...thus the forming of team Natty J Photography. I found out that Jackson has not held their Relay yet and I was thrilled that I could start a team and help contribute monetarily to the ASC (American Cancer Society)!! Come say hello to the Natty J Photography team on August 6th-7th (6p-6p) and see what an incredible community can do when we all work together. You won't be disappointed. Promise.
Keep checking back as I will be announcing fundraisers to help my team reach their goal of $1000. If you'd like to donate and can't make it to any fundraiser please visit the Natty J Photography team page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...